Brooklyn


“One if the things that I battle with is feeling self-conscious, like people are looking at me, people are
taking my picture, you know, somebody’s whispering,” she says. “So you feel like you want to protect
yourself from criticism and from judgement. And you feel like one of the ways you can do that is to
have an appearance that nobody can poke fun at. So you try and sort of build yourself up in these ways,
and it can take you further away from who you are and further away from being in the world, and
being in the world is what being an actor is all about: watching people and observing people.”

“It’s important to hang onto the idea that your style or your taste are not your values, and they’re not
who you are, and they’re not what make you a good friend.”

“When I’m working, something in me stops and dies,” she says. “That internal monitor that tells you,
‘Oh, that thing you said was stupid, or that face that you’re doing now is weird.’ It turns off and when
things are working right it’s this really blissful, forgetful time when I don’t really know where I’m
going and I don’t know where I’ve been. I’m not myself, and I stop judging myself for just a minute. I
don’t know why it happens, but it’s this intense, blissful ride.”


Michelle Williams interwieved by Eviana Hartman

Nylon Magazine January 2007